The Question Mark Conundrum


 The question mark conundrum


What is the conundrum, you may ask;

To explain it is something I have taken up as a task.


What are where, what, who, when, why, how, there for;

Have you wondered ever before.


Did you mark;

That I have been dodging thee, oh question mark.


For words such as what and who set a precedent;

Make you all but redundant.


At the end of a sentence you appear;

For no rhyme nor for  a reason I fear.


You were created for purposes other than posing a question;

Your earliest  ancestor was a lightning flash to indicate rising intonation.


How cleverly have you penetrated every language there is;

In Gaelic, French, English, Hebrew, why, even gibberish.


While you have been priding yourself on your  faux dignity;

I can’t help but ponder the absurdity.


You appear twice in a question in  Spanish as if once wasn’t enough;

Causing us so much huff and puff.


How do you come to justify such  glory;

When even the Gods have to answer your every query.


Oh! Don’t go on making this a soliloquy;

I can’t let you get away with the whining spree.


No, you don’t quiz me so smugly;

Have you ever seen any other punctuation mark as comely?

Your insinuation Is a mere statement;

I have reason enough for such entitlement.


I bring felons to justice;

I am present at every talk of peace and armistice.


Bereft of me there would have been no philosophy or science;

It would only do you good to quit looking at me askance.


Without me everything is but a thought;

With me, you have a reason to go on about.


So, be grateful for me;

And just let me be.

       

                                  -firefly









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thottam House

Amma, I saw a ghost

¿Cuàl es qué?